Wednesday, September 24, 2014

It seems we're all agreed



So, as highlighted in the last post, we have been promised "home rule", "nothing less". Home rule/devo max means that we have control of all our affairs bar our currency, defence and foreign relations. And just as I accept we lost the referendum, I expect the No side to honour that commitment.

And on reflection, why on earth would they not? I have reminded myself of the "arguments" made against independence over these last two years. I don't think I've missed anything major out:

  • Won't be able to use the pound
  • Hate Alex Salmond
  • Will be kicked out the EU
  • Will have to use the Euro
  • Won't get into NATO
  • Not proper independence
  • Proud Scot, proud Brit
  • More liable to attack from international terrorists
  • More liable to attack from outer space
  • Won't get the BBC
  • Guards and snarling Alsatian dogs at Gretna
  • Complex warships only ever built in Britain
  • Jobs will go at Faslane
  • Food will be dearer
  • Eddie Izzard etc love us
  • Will have to drive on the right

Of all those "arguments" against independence - of every last, blessed one of them - there's only one that could possibly apply to honouring the commitment to home rule. And as I've said, ad nauseam now, I accept we lost. So I'll accept too the fact that what we'll be getting, for now at any rate, is not "proper independence".

So. We're all agreed then?

No comments:

Post a Comment